Frequently Asked Questions
What Can I Expect During an Initial Consult?
1. Fill out your information and make a consult request through the Contact form.
2. Catherine will reach out to you to schedule a free, 20 minute consultation for you via Zoom or SimplePractice.
3. During the Consultation, Catherine will listen as you tell her about the challenges you're facing and what you would like to gain from your time together. She can then explain the different ways she can help through practices in art therapy, mindfulness, and yoga.
4. If art therapy sounds like what you need, Catherine will schedule a date and time for your first session. Catherine will then send you a link to join your session via SimplePractice.
5. Open your link and join the meeting at your scheduled time. Catherine will walk you through the rest.
6. Payment is due at time of session. Payment is accepted through your choice of credit card processing, PayPal, or Venmo.
Do I Need to Have Any Prior Experience with Art Making, Yoga, or Mindfulness?
No prior experience necessary! Through her work, Catherine is skilled at designing sessions for a wide range of experience levels in art making, mindfulness, and yoga.
Part of the beauty of art therapy is that it doesn't matter how your artwork looks when you're finished. This bears repeating. It doesn't matter how your artwork looks. In our sessions, we use art making as a tool for relaxation and stress relief as well as a path to insight. You can learn a lot about yourself from the thoughts and feelings that arise while creating art. If you've never used art materials before, Catherine can guide you throught it. If you're an experienced artist, we can explore new ways to use the materials for your benefit.
Similarly with mindfulness and yoga, Catherine can plan simple, easy flows if you're practicing for the first time, or we can explore new and creative ways of practicing for the more experienced yogi and meditator.
How Do You Facilitate Sessions Online?
In response to the COVID-19 crisis, all sessions are currently being facilitated online.
For Employer Workshops and Special Classes and Events, HeartSpace Wellness Studio uses the video conferencing platform Zoom. Before these events, you will need to download and install the free Zoom app ahead of time at zoom.us.
For Individual Art Therapy Sessions, HeartSpace Wellness Studio uses the platform SimplePractice that provides secure telehealth connections. When using a comuter, simply click the link provided to you in your email to join your session. When using a mobile phone, you will need to download the free SimplePractice App to join.
Is There a Cancellation Policy?
HeartSpace Wellness Studio requires notice of cancellation 24 hours in advance of the scheduled session. If 24 hours notice of cancellation is not provided, you will be charged the full session fee.
Of course, the unexpected can and often does arise. If 24 hours notice of cancellation is not possible due to issues such as child care or health related reasons, HeartSpace Wellness Studio provides the option for rescheduling a cancelled session within the same business week at no additional cost.
Do You Take Insurance?
Unfortunately, no. The State of Tennessee does not offer insurance reimbursement for art therapy at this time.
However, the Tennessee Art Therapy Association (TATA) and the American Art Therapy Association are working to change that. You can learn more along with how you can help support the cause at:
HeartSpace Wellness Studio does offer sliding scale and student pricing options. Please contact Catherine directly through the Contact form for more information.
What Can I Expect During My First Online Art Therapy Session?
1. Arrive at your computer at least 10 minutes before your session to set up your space. This is a good time to test your internet connection, open the meeting link, and work out any technical issues that may pop up. You can also use this time to make your space as comfortable as possible. Choose a quiet room, a comfy chair, even bring a cup of tea or coffee to savor as we talk.
2. During this first session, you will review some intake paperwork and sign releases online, much like you would at any other healthcare check up. You and Catherine will then have time to get to know each other better. She’ll listen as you tell her more about the difficulties you’re experiencing. Then you’ll work together to come up with a plan for what will be most helpful for you and your needs.
3. You may have time for a brief exercise in art making, mindfulness, or yoga in this first session based on your interest, but there will be time to go more in depth with those tools in later sessions.
4. Finally before the session ends, Catherine will walk you through payment and scheduling a day and time for your next meeting.